Thursday, October 25, 2012

Alive

First thing is that I have less and less belief in coincidence at times.  Just consider all of the songs out there in the world.  Even if you limit that to the songs that I like.  As I settled in this morning for my first dose of the second maintenance round of Rituximab, I opened Pandora for a little background music.  The very first song that came up, Pearl Jam, Alive.   It wasn't on a Pearl Jam station, and it wasn't a song that I had thumbs up, so the only part of choice I effected was that the last time I used Pandora, Oasis was what I was listening to.



"Alive"

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you
What you thought was your daddy was nothin' but a...
While you were sittin' home alone at age thirteen
Your real daddy was dyin', sorry you didn't see him, but I'm glad we talked...
Oh I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey, I, I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey...oh...
Oh, she walks slowly, across a young man's room
She said I'm ready...for you
I can't remember anything to this very day
'Cept the look, the look...
Oh, you know where, now I can't see, I just stare...
I, I'm still alive
Hey I, but, I'm still alive
Hey I, boy, I'm still alive
Hey I, I, I, I'm still alive, yeah
Ooh yeah...yeah yeah yeah...oh...oh...
Is something wrong, she said
Well of course there is
You're still alive, she said
Oh, and do I deserve to be
Is that the question
And if so...if so...who answers...who answers...
I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, but, I'm still alive
Yeah I, ooh, I'm still alive
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Every day is a gift.  Every sunrise evidence of the graciousness of God.  Recently at a hospice conference we had a presenter who was an expert in psychosocial trauma care and professional self care commented that we don't deserve to be working in people lives because we have a degree or a license.  We have to earn that right with each person each day. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete